Surely only a few things are worse than finding out that your Wilmington rental house has a gnat problem. While they don’t bite or carry diseases, gnats can be a real annoyance in an otherwise clean and tidy home. Ripe fruit, trash bags, and even potting soil can attract these unwelcome pests. They seem to appear out of nowhere and can be problematic to completely eliminate. That is unless you know some of the best tricks to keep gnats out of your house for good.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: One of the most useful ways to eliminate gnats without harsh chemicals is to use a mixture of apple cider vinegar, water, sugar, and dish soap. The gnats will be tempted by the sugar and then trapped by the soap. Place a small bowl of the mixture near areas where you’ve seen gnats buzzing around, and they will be gone in a short while.
- Fly Paper: One other easy, inexpensive style to get rid of gnats is to use flypaper. But even though it’s not the most attractive option, those sticky flypaper ribbons are absolutely good at trapping buzzing insects around your home.
- Bleach the Drains: If you’ve noticed the convergence of gnats around your sink drains, you may have drain flies. To clear out your drains and house of these pests, pour a solution of bleach and water down the affected drains. Your sinks will promptly be gnat-free again.
- Rotten Fruit: You have now a clue that gnats like ripe fruit – it’s one of the main reasons why gnats pop up in your house. So one really useful technique to do away with gnats is to use it against them. Put a piece of ripe or rotten fruit in a bowl and cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap. With the use of a toothpick, poke a few small holes in the plastic. In that way, the flies can get in but then become trapped in the bowl, which you can then take with you away from the house.
- Wine Trap: If you have some expired wine handy, you can take advantage of it and use it to trap pesky gnats the same way. Pour some of the wine into a small bowl, add a few drops of dish soap, and then secure it in a place where the gnats seem to be congregating. They will be trapped in the wine solution, simply making gnat removal really easy as can be.
- Bug Zapper: If you’re seeking out a more aggressive means to eliminate gnats from your house, we strongly encourage you to try a bug zapper device. Countless different classifications of bug zappers are available for purchase, most of which use electricity to zap flies, mosquitoes, and other flying insects. Put up and leave the zapper in a place a bit far and secluded and just plug it in.
- Chemical Spray: For gnat issues that have gotten seriously out of control, you really may have to resort to using an insecticide. Both foggers and sprays can effectively remove gnats but should be used with caution. Always comply with the manufacturer’s directions when opting for chemical insecticides.
With several effective processes to eradicate gnats, you are certain to find one that works for your particular pest problem. Are you interested in learning more about how to keep your rental house pest-free? Visit Real Property Management Champion’s website for more practical information and contact us online to speak with one of our property managers!
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.