Skip to Content

Get a FREE assessment of your rental property. Start here!

Get a FREE assessment of your rental property. Start here!

Is Your Rental Property a Potential Hazard to Your Tenants?

]Southport Tenant Looking at Mold in His Rental HomeYour tenants need to feel secure and at home in their rental property, as a Southport property manager. Guaranteeing a tenant’s safety can reduce vacancies and increase a building’s cash flow. But some potentially dangerous circumstances can arise without your knowledge if you don’t take extra care. In this article, we’ll look at five of the most common home dangers that, if ignored, could cause serious health problems for your tenants or even result in death. To help ensure that your rental property does not pose a hazard to your tenants, it is essential to be aware of common household hazards and how to avoid them.

Toxic Mold

Molds develop in moist areas that contain a food source, such as cardboard or paper. A musty odor is frequently produced by mold, and for most people, this is the first indication. There are numerous varieties of mold, the majority of which are unsightly but not particularly dangerous to people. Stachybotrys, or black mold, on the other hand, can be poisonous. In extreme cases, it may cause anaphylactic shock, respiratory distress, and allergic reactions.

Mold growth prevention in rental properties is relatively straightforward. Mold can be avoided by simply installing a dehumidifier in the basement, opening the windows, or running exhaust fans in steamy bathrooms. Teach your tenants about mold prevention and the dangers associated with mold growth. Furthermore, you should conduct routine mold inspections of your home. If the worst should happen and you discover black mold, it’s critical to call in a professional right away who can remove it safely and address the source of the moisture that initially caused the mold.

Asbestos

Concerning older rental properties, asbestos poses a significant problem. But if the asbestos is kept inside of walls or other closed spaces, it is generally safe as long as it is not disturbed. If the walls of your rental property have asbestos, you must ensure that your tenant is aware that they must not drill holes or make any other alterations to the walls, not even to drive a nail. Asbestos can enter a home through even small cracks and cause mesothelioma cancer.

Asbestos removal should only be performed by certified experts. You should not attempt to remove it on your own or let a tenant do it to avoid injury and diseases associated with asbestos exposure.

Lead Poisoning

Lead is an additional highly unsafe substance that may be present in older rental homes. Before its prohibition in 1978, lead paint was commonly used in older homes. Even if the old paint has been covered up, as homes age, paint can flake off, exposing your tenants’ children, pets, and other family members to toxic lead. In certain areas, lead poisoning can also come from old pipes.

You should have your rental property’s plumbing and water thoroughly inspected for lead to prevent lead poisoning. Also, if your home was constructed before 1978, it’s a good idea to have the paint removed and tested by trained professionals. The only way to ensure that your tenants are safe from lead exposure is to completely remove the old paint from all affected surfaces, though painting over lead paint is a temporary stop-gap.

Fire

In the United States, house fires happen far too frequently. Household fires can unfortunately be fatal. 2,620 civilians perish in home fires each year, which total more than 346,000 annually. Cooking fires are brought on by oil and other ingredients, while laundry room fires are most often started by dryer lint. Faulty appliances, electrical problems, and lit candles left unattended are other significant causes of home fires.

There are several things you should do to keep fires from starting in your rental property. First, do what you can to make sure there are no electrical problems in your rental home and have the dryer vent cleaned once a year. Second, provide working smoke detectors, fire extinguishers, and other necessities while educating your tenants about fire safety. By taking these simple precautions, you can significantly reduce the likelihood that your rental property will catch fire.

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide is a typical household risk. Burning wood, propane, gasoline, charcoal, and other fuels produce the colorless, odorless gas known as carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide can accumulate in an enclosed space if appliances and engines that use these fuels are not adequately ventilated, resulting in carbon monoxide poisoning. Headaches, nausea, blurred vision, and confusion are all potential symptoms of mild carbon monoxide poisoning. In severe cases, carbon monoxide poisoning can lead to permanent tissue damage or even death.

Through appropriate maintenance and tenant education, carbon monoxide poisoning can be avoided. It’s vital to routinely service any fireplaces or appliances that use the fuels mentioned above. Add carbon monoxide detectors to your rental home so that both you and your tenants will be informed of any potential risks. If your rental property has a garage or if your tenants have a propane grill or heater, it’s a good idea to inform them that they must never leave a car running or use a propane device in an enclosed area. Basic safety education could protect your tenants from illness and even death.

Ensuring your tenants’ health and safety can be an enormous undertaking. Why not let the experts help? At Real Property Management Champion, our comprehensive property management and tenant relations programs are designed to keep both your property and your tenants safe. To learn more about the services we offer, call us at 910-782-4488 or contact us online today!

We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.